- 16th – World Ozone Day
proclaimed 16 September the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, commemorating the date, in 1987, on which the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer was signed.
- World Water Monitoring Challenge September 18th
World Water Monitoring Challenge™ is an international education and outreach program that builds public awareness and involvement in protecting water resources around the world by engaging citizens to conduct basic monitoring of their local water bodies.
In 2011, approximately 340,000 people in 77 countries monitored their local waterways. We challenge you totestthe quality of your waterways, share your findings, and protect our most precious resource!
- National Public Lands Day September 29th
The co-founder of EarthEcho International and acclaimed naturalist encourages volunteers from across the country to head to their nearby public lands to lend a hand.
National Public Lands Day is a fee-free entrance day at many federal public lands including national parks. It’s a great opportunity to help a local or favorite public land near you and spend the rest of the day recreating or relaxing on the land. With free admission, feel free to bring a friend or make it a family outing, and enjoy the experience.
- Last Sunday of Sept – World River Day
World Rivers Day is a global celebration of the world’s waterways, observed every last Sunday in September. Established in 2005, it highlights the many values of rivers and strives to increase public awareness while encouraging the improved stewardship of rivers around the world. World Rivers Day occurs annually on the last Sunday in September.
- International Coastal Clean Up
Held the second or third weekend in September – Visit the official website for details as they vary year by year. Sponsored by the ……. Ocean Conservancy
- Guest Commentary: Investing in the outdoors (denverpost.com)
- Protection of ozone layer urged (leytesamardaily.net)
- Local Organization Helps Protect Public Lands (krextv.com)
- Public speaks out about new land development agency (kitv.com)
- Obama Administration publishes “roadmap” for solar energy development on public lands in West (greencarcongress.com)